Ongoing researches


    Early Croatian Bribir developed during the Early Middle Ages on the remains of a Liburnian hill-fort and the ancient town Varvaria. It was inherited by the powerful Croatian Dukes Šubići Bribirski after the disappearance of the Croatian national dynasty. Although they did not possess the Croatian crown, they were nominating hereditary rulers as kings of the former Croatian Kingdom with their power and influence during the 13th and 14th centuries.

    Numerous remains of structures that were erected on the ruins of Roman substructures within the ancient and mediaeval defence walls of the town indicate to a high level of aesthetic and artistic level, which was encouraged by the town rulers. Many kings and dignitaries with their entourage stayed in these buildings.

    Unsystematic archaeological excavations started in 1910, but turned into regular and properly planned research work by the Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in 1959. The Museum still stores an extensive archive of documentation on the plans, architecture and other field works that were conducted at that time. Due to the increase of Serbian extremism, the research works were terminated in the 1980s. The revealed and unpreserved walls of the structures, which were exposed to the elements of time and human destruction, suffered major damages during that period. The condition of the unpreserved walls of the discovered structures, which underwent larger damages caused by weathering and human factors, is very critical. This is particularly visible at the location Tjeme and the Ottoman-Venetian fortification.

    Minor preservation works were resumed at the walls of several structures, which are in the vicinity of the Museum’s site building that was built at the beginning of 20th century. Those works also encompassed the preservation of several structures on the northern side of the graveyard and the walls of St. Mary’s church. Restoration of the scattered walls between the so-called house of Marun and the Ottoman-Venetian fortification at Tjeme Glavice has been initiated by financial means that were assigned in 2009.